Monday, January 5, 2015

Resolutions

I have been thinking about what I will be resolved to accomplish this year. The standards keep rolling through my mind. You know, loose weight, be a better person, yadda, yadda, yadda. I don't want to throw the same things out there this year. I do want to accomplish those things but I need a better way to approach them.

I have been seeing the "one word" resolution popping up all over the place. I first heard about it from my sister. Her Priest suggested using one word for the year. Find a good one and put it up in random places so you can be reminded to implement it daily. I'm really not one of those person who plasters goals and personal affirmations all over the place. I just don't work that way. But, BUT, I like the idea of the one word. I kept thinking and thinking and thinking about a word I could do. I didn't want one that was too far out there for me. One I couldn't accomplish. One word kept leaping into my mind. And it is one that I have been working on for awhile. One I haven't done all that well with. I think( I hope) this year will be the year I use it well. Oh? The word? De-clutter. I hate the word and I love the word. De-clutter. DE-CLUTTER. Oh, how I need to de-clutter. Not only my home but my mind.

My home. My husband was in the Coast Guard for the first seventeen years of our marriage. We moved about every two years. Great for de-cluttering! We have been in our current home for almost eleven years. Needless to say, it hasn't been de-cluttered. I have started a bit in the spare room. Trying to get rid of all the left over toys and stuff from the girls younger days. It's coming along fine...but now it has all my crochet/craft/scrapbook stuff in it...it seems like it never ends. So, I will try to make a goal for myself to purge at least once a month....hopefully more than that. And that is for the WHOLE house. Every room. Including the garage. Fingers crossed :)

My mind. Sometimes it feels like my brain never stops. No, that's not right. It feels like things never stop invading my brain. Outside stimuli. I would like to stop a lot of the outside secular world from constantly accosting my brain. With that being said, I plan on including more prayer and less noise. Turn more things off in my life. Less electronics and more nature. I think my quote for this will be " Be still and know that I am God". Be still. That is what I need to do. Ok, kind of a contradiction of the previous paragraph but I think you get my meaning :) Some of the ways I am going to do this are by saying the Rosary more and going to Adoration more. Have more of a morning prayer time before everyone gets up.

There are a lot of other things I want to accomplish this year--crochet more,learn to knit, practice my sewing,  go to Disney again ( I know, that's asking for a lot), walk a 5-k. I think I may make a list and see what I can cross of this year.

Good luck on all of ya'll's resolutions!

1 comment:

  1. I never make a new year's resolution (and then I can't break it!) - de-cluttering is good though. I've actually made a small start with de-cluttering in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete