Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Last Day Before Normal

Normal? School and routine. Back to the way things were before Christmas break. Sadly only one of us had to go back to school yesterday. Poor little S. H has decided to go to vet. tech school instead of basic college. We all think that is a fabulous idea. One she should have had when she started school...but...better late than never. She is meant to work with animals. This decision has put her back a semester. So she'll be off until that gets going full swing. Fortunately/unfortunately she will have to do an online program since there isn't one close enough for her liking. She'll do online classes while getting her tech stuff done at a vets office. Fingers crossed that one of our local vets can do this :). The husband, C, is still off work. What!?! Not working? To make the story short, it has to do with him having some blood clots in his lungs. I'll go into that at another time. I can't believe I haven't told the whole story yet. And me, I won't do testing at school until next week. So my little S was all alone heading off to responsibility.

It was mid-way through Monday when H brought up the fact that we were supposed to go walking again before school. Right. Get your shoes on people were a-walking. Off we go back to Lake Texana.

These were taken at the beginning of the walk. It started out by the entry into the park and first  went by the highway, then angled back towards the wooded area. I loved getting closer and closer to the windmill.

At first I really didn't like walking along the path in the open field. Then I took a moment and looked up and around. It was huge and open and you could see forever. That's one of things I love about Texas. You really do get a feeling of "everything is bigger in Texas" . This tree was the beginning of the woods. I love the oaks here.

Here was one of the first little bridges. There were so many birds right along here. Unfortunately, they were too far away and hidden in all those branches. Plus, a cell phone doesn't really zoom in much :) So no cute little bird pictures. 

It was cold and crisp. The perfect day for a walk in the woods.

 This is just past the little bridge and the start of the really nice woodsy area. We started down at the bottom by the little white star. Then we traveled on the purple path(can you tell the color?) and finished with the short jaunt of the yellow towards the left.

It was pretty wet and we did have to do a bit of maneuvering around some squishy areas. And by the looks of it, some deer, raccoons and other critters did some squishing too. The path then led us by a bit of an inlet. If you look real close you can see the heron in the middle there. C said it was a great blue heron and not the lesser heron. But I really can't tell the difference. A heron is a heron--gray, blue, white. They are just pretty awesome no matter what color or size.

We were all pretty tired by the time we finished. But it was a good tired. I can't wait til the next time we go and try an different trail. My favorite part of the trip was when we figured out that if you park at the entrance you don't have to pay. Woo hoo! I like that.

1 comment:

  1. There's only one thing better than a great walk and that's getting to park for free.