Monday, July 21, 2014

Last Week

Last week we went to visit my in-laws. We only stayed for the day. They are having some health issues but it was so nice to get to spend the day with them. They live about 5 hrs away so we got to have a mini-road trip. Of course the girls slept the whole way.

Now, I LOVE antique shops. There are some pretty cool antique shops on the way. My husband, we'll call him C, always points them out. And always NEVER stops. Surprise, surprise, surprise, he stopped this time. Seriously, I don't know what got into him. But I certainly wasn't going to say anything and ruin my chance to do a bit of shopping :) Luckily I had 30 bucks in my pocket, a decent amount to have when looking at vintage goodies.


The bowl and the blue willow plates are what I purchased. Oh, but there was so much more I wanted. The cook book was my Mother-in-laws. She got it when she was married in1950. H (the middle daughter) was the lucky granddaughter who got to bring it home. The bowl was $5 and each plate was $4. I really should have bought more plates. I will eventually have enough to outfit a table.

While we were there we just sat around a visited. I mostly worked on my Harry Potter blanket for my niece...here is a bit of what I did.
You can see the Griffendor and Hufflepuff colors. 

On the way home we did a bit of site seeing. We stopped at someplace I haven't been too since I was a little girl. And a place H has been wanting to go see. My youngest (S) really wasn't too interested but she was stuck, nothing she could do about it. Oh, where did we go? San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship Texas. It was awesome. San Jacinto is the place where Santa Ana was captured after The Alamo and Goliad. Check out the monument here and The Alamo here and Goliad here

It was hot and muggy but we weren't outside much. And yes, we were able to go to the top. One little factoid that I just love is that it is taller than the Washington Monument. From the ground to the top of the star is 570 ft. Which is 15 ft taller than the Washington Monument. So, yes, everything in Texas IS bigger :).

 After we spent a bit of time there( it was difficult to drag H away from the actual, real knife that Davey Crockett owned...her personal hero) we went on over to the Battleship Texas. That was SO awesome. I am very claustrophobic but I sucked it up and went aboard....and down below. Though I didn't go all the way below deck. Take a look here. With my Dad having been in the Navy and my husband in the Coast Guard I just couldn't help but love the ship.



If you look real close you might be able to notice that the deck is wooden. That is just amazing to me. It is the only battleship to have been in both WWI and WWII.





I thought this was pretty cool. Don't know how old it was but Texans always show their pride.




And this is my favorite picture. Toward the bow with the monument in the background. We really had a great time. C and S (the youngest) really were in the zone. They could have stayed till closing.

These are just two more reasons I'm proud to be a Texan!






No comments:

Post a Comment